Wednesday, October 1, 2008

WFMW - Toddlers in the kitchen


Today is an "in the kitchen" theme for Works for Me Wednesday, which is highly convenient because I was already planning to write something about the kitchen. I love it when things work out that way!

When we moved into this house a few months ago, I knew I would have to do things differently because Kaitlyn would go from having ZERO access to the kitchen to having FULL access.

I read on someone's blog that she created a special cupboard in the kitchen for her kids, where they could easily access a few specific things, and decided to do a version of that in my kitchen.

(I wish I could remember where I saw this so I could give proper credit.)

I designated the bottom drawer as Kaitlyn's. In it are her cups and bowls. (All of her sippy cups were in the dishwasher or dirty when I took this picture - it isn't usually this empty.)


I also have a small island, and in its cupboard I keep all of my plastic containers:

The most convenient thing about this setup is that whenever Kaitlyn is curious about things in the kitchen and wants to get into cupboards or drawers at her level, I can direct her attention to these places.

She has learned that she has full access to this drawer and cupboard without mom getting upset. I let her pull things out to her heart's content - it's a harmless way to keep her occupied while I make dinner or clean up.

At some point I plan to reorganize some of my other cupboards and will more fully utilize the empty space in my island cupboard, but anything I put in there will be Kaitlyn-friendly - plastic measuring cups, bowls, etc.

Also, as she gets older, I will start to include snacks or other food items, like cereal, so she access them by herself.

Visit Rocks in My Dryer for more in-the-kitchen tips and ideas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to setting up a drawer for my daughter soon! I tried it with my sons... let's just say they weren't exactly domesticated about it. More like war of the tupperware any chance they had. LOL. But I hear girls are more CALM in the kitchen. Good times, good times. Blessings, Whitney

Smith Family Blog said...

Isn't it amazing that kids actually stick to their own cabinets? We did this with Moses when we opened up the kitchen to him a few months ago-- and he *usually* only gets in "his" cabinet. It amazes me!

Jackie said...

Genius! I wish I had thought of this when Savannah was younger and getting into everything.