Thursday, June 11, 2009

Some things just don't make sense

I have lots to blog about.

Charcoal.

Free burritos.

California.

But they all pale in importance to what I did today. I attended the viewing for a 23-year-old who died very suddenly on Saturday, while playing a video game.

I walked into the room and saw Kyle's precious wife, sitting on a stool by his casket, surrounded by her family, sobbing. No woman should ever become a widow at such a young age.

Not that there is ever a right age for someone to become a widow, but it seemed so out of context, so jolting, to see this beautiful woman who just a year and a half ago was a blushing bride and now is burying her husband.

I work with Kyle's mom, Mona. She took our family photos two years ago. She worked with my sister for many years. She is such a woman of God, a mother who I admire, and a huge prayer warrior. I don't talk to her very often, but when I do have the privilege of talking with her I always walk away feeling blessed.

I'm having a hard time with the fact that she has to bury her son.

Some things just don't make sense.

I guess that's why we have a big God.

In the midst of great sorrow over Kyle being so suddenly taken away, there has also been great joy. One of his friends started a Facebook group in his memory, and I've loved reading the stories and seeing the photos people have posted. Kyle was a great guy who embraced everyone, loved to have fun, and loved Jesus with all of his heart. That is evident in every story and photo shared.

I met Kyle one time, when he came into my office on campus. I remember thinking, Yep - he's definitely Mona's son. What a genuinely nice guy.

After reading all the stories about him, I find myself wishing I'd had the privilege of knowing him better.

I guess that's one more thing to look forward to about heaven.

If you think about it, please say a prayer for Kyle's wife, Chelsea; his parents, Joel and Mona; his siblings, Alyssa and Austin; and the rest of his extended family and friends.

1 comment:

WILLOW TREE said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry for the loss of him, for his wife, his mom, for the senselessness of it all. Praying for you all tonight.

Blessings, Carolynn