Monday, August 18, 2008

Prayers for my mom

As I've mentioned before, my mom, Priscilla, will be having surgery tomorrow. A routine colonoscopy in July revealed a small cancerous mass, and further testing showed masses in her ovaries as well. So, she is having a complete hysterectomy tomorrow and a small portion of her colon will also be removed.

The surgery is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. (EST) - she'll be at the hospital at 6:30 a.m. for all of the pre-op festivities. The doctors estimate that the surgery will take 4-5 hours, and they expect my mom to be in hospital for 7-10 days for recovery.

Here are some specific prayer requests:
~initial IV to go smoothly (nurses seem to have a hard time finding her veins)
~epidural to go quickly and smoothly
~ureter is free and not entangled
~protection as she receives blood transfusions
~a clean and thorough surgery
~quick healing and total recovery

At her meeting with the surgeon, Mom asked if he could throw in a quick tummy tuck.

Sort of like when you take your car to get an oil change, and 15 minutes into it the guy comes out and says, "Your xyz contraption is dirty and should probably be replaced soon, and your abc gasket needs to be flushed. Do you want me to go ahead and do that now, while I'm already in there?"

Apparently, that's not really an option when it comes to major surgery.

(If you can't tell, my mom has a very healthy sense of humor, which is one of the many things I love about her.)

I hope to be back tomorrow night (from home! on my very own high-speed internet connection!) to post an update.

For now, I'll leave you with two pictures of my mom and my sisters. The first is of my mom and my sister Monica, and was taken a year ago at Kaitlyn's first birthday party. The second is of my mom and my sister Andrea, taken while my parents were visiting her in California.



I love you, Mom!

3 comments:

Smith Family Blog said...

Just wanted to let you know again that we are praying for your mom (and you, and all of your family!)

Jackie said...

Well, I just love your mom's sense of humor. I'd want a tummy tuck too if I had to go under the knife anyway. :) I am praying for her for peace and for a wonderful outcome. Keep us updated!

Monica said...

I love you, Sis! =)