Monday, August 11, 2008

Menu Planning

After a month of craziness, I am craving a return to routine and normalcy. I desperately need to plan a menu and go grocery shopping, but after so long of not doing this, I feel more than a little lost.

What is it that we like eat? I can't remember. Seriously. I'm sitting here at the end of the day at work, trying to remember what my go-to meals are.

And all I can think of is mac and cheese, Subway, and Chinese take-out.

I know I have frozen chicken of some sort in my freezer, and I know that I generally cook that kind of thing in the Crock Pot, but I don't remember how I cook it.

I think this must be some sort menu-planning/cooking atrophy.

I got on the "year of crockpotting" blog because I figured that I would at least find something good there, and I did, but the problem is that I found 200+ good things. I wandered aimlessly around the site for at least ten minutes before giving up.

Sometimes having too many choices leaves me feeling paralyzed to the point of not making any sort of decision.

Which is what led me to write my own blog post about my dilemma. Because, clearly, writing my own blog post will help me accomplish writing out a menu.

Right?

What will actually happen is that I'll probably go to Wal-Mart tonight after Kaitlyn goes to bed, and will wander the aisles for a while. I'll come home with an assortment of meat, vegetables, and other miscellaneous products that will hopefully turn into several edible meals over the course of the rest of the week.

By the way, I must pause to mention how much I love the Wal-Mart close to my new house. Seriously. I had previously written off Wal-Mart because I always walked out of there feeling like I had been through war.

But this new Wal-Mart is heavenly. It's clean. The workers are nice, and appear to actually be knowledgeable. Even the other shoppers were courteous, and I didn't catch one swear word from anyone. The whole experience was great.

Which is especially lovely since the store is five minutes from my house.

But I digress.

Menu planning.

Yes, my goal for tonight is to have some sort of plan in place. I can't guarantee that I'll have a chance to post it, but my goal for next week is to get back to participating in Menu Plan Monday.

(Which, as I've heard through the grapevine, should make Stacie happy.)

:-D

No comments: