Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reflecting

I once heard someone say that with parenting, the days are long but the years are short. How true is that?  I wish I could remember where I heard it because it's a saying that often comes to mind when I'm having a long day. It encourages me to embrace the day, tired as I might be, because the years are going to fly by all too quickly.

I was reminded of this saying as I read this post from MckMama, a mother of four (soon-to-be five) kids ages five and under.  She takes its message and expands on it in such a beautiful way, and it's a great reminder for me and for anyone who has small kids. I encourage you to take a few moments to read it, even if you don't have small kids.

On a related note (I promise it's related - I'll explain in a second), the college I work for is hosting the funeral for a police officer and his K-9 partner tomorrow.  The viewing is today, and because of these two events our campus has been greatly disrupted.  All week I've heard the constant roar, hum, and beeping of trucks and bulldozers from the city as they've come on campus to clear massive amounts of snow from the parking lots. Because they've closed off various parking lots at various times, it's been extremely confusing and inconvenient to find a parking space.

Today everyone has to park in a shopping center across the street, and a college bus is shuttling people over to campus.  I've heard the bus drive by my window all day, along with numerous police and fire vehicles coming on campus for the viewing. 

Tomorrow, we'll be somewhat locked onto campus as it will be difficult to enter or exit from about 10am until 1:30pm because of the funeral and procession.

Logistically, it's quite a pain.

However, I found myself being very contemplative this week.  Every beep of a bulldozer, every blocked off parking lot, every police car that I see on campus, is a reminder of how short life is and how blessed I am.  It's a somber reminder of those who serve our community and our country, knowing that they put their lives on the line every day. 

I have much to be thankful for.

Now there is also news of the tragedy in Haiti to remind me of the blessings in my life.  A warm bed, a hot shower, clean water, food.  These are things that I do not want to take for granted.

Between MckMama's post, the funeral, and the earthquake in Haiti, God has been reminding me this week that I need to embrace every moment.  Instead of annoyance because Kaitlyn wants to read Cinderella AGAIN (seriously, how many times in a row can a book be read??) I need to embrace my role as a mom and be thankful that she wants to spend time with me. 

Instead of getting mad at the driver in front of me or the person who is holding up the line at the store, I need to pause and be thankful that I have a car, I have a job, and I have the ability to go to a store and purchase what I need, along with a few wants, too.  How many people in the world can say that?

What do you have to be thankful for this week?

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments: