Sunday, November 23, 2008

Another unexpected bump in the road

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer on Friday.

I was shocked when she called me at work to give me the news. I knew she had a biopsy earlier in the week, and I knew she would get the results on Friday. I felt sure it would be a good report. Surely the doctor just wanted to be extra cautious because of our mom's history; surely it would turn out benign.

But it wasn't.

The news hit me hard. When my mom was diagnosed this summer, I had so much other stuff going on. My mind was full with the details of a new job, moving, and increased busyness for Mike at his job. I didn't have time to stop and let it sink in.

All of those pent up emotions, along with the emotion of the new diagnosis, came rushing out on Friday after I talked to Monica.

I'm so blessed to work in a Christian environment. Jaimee (my boss) took time to listen to me blabber on for a while, then prayed with me. I emailed two of my dear friends on campus (I work at a college) to tell them, and they surprised me by making the trek all the way down to my office to give me a hug and pray for me.

I had a little meltdown when I picked Kaitlyn up at the sitter's house. She was being so very, terribly two (Kaitlyn, not the sitter, in case you were confused) and I was at a complete loss for how to respond. She was pushing limits she's never pushed while at Meagan's house (at least while I'm there) and I just stood there thinking, I know I should do something, but I just don't have a clue how to wear the mom hat right now.

So, I burst into tears.

But then things got a little better. By the time we got home, Kaitlyn was asleep. I sat on the couch and held her, and it gave me a much needed quiet moment for myself. Mike stopped and picked up Chinese take-out for dinner. Yum!

I also got to talk with Monica and get the details of her late afternoon doctor's appointment. Her treatment options sound very good. She caught it early, and the doctor expects that she will beat this and have a long life ahead of her.

The doctors handling her treatment are the same doctors who have handled my mom's treatment, which is a blessing. They are wonderful doctors and Monica has already talked with them several times regarding my mom, so she already knows them, is comfortable with them, and knows that she is in good hands.

She will have surgery before Christmas to have the tumor removed, and then she will have chemo and possibly radiation.

She has a very positive outlook about the whole thing - in fact, she is going to blog about her journey. You can read her thoughts here.

Please keep us all in your prayers. I have a lot more in my heart that I want to share, but right now I feel at loss for how to share it.

I'll close with a song that we sang today at church - it hit me in a whole new way.


7 comments:

Alaina said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I will be praying for both your mom and sister. And I'm glad your husband is better - hives are so uncomfortable!

Anonymous said...

Strength does indeed rise as we wait upon the Lord. Praying for you, your sister (had a chance to swing by her page too, thanks for the link) and for God's grace and mercy to show off big here. Not to be too nosy, but have You been tested? It's an honor to return the favor of prayer for you my friend.

Blessings, Whitney

Kyle Luke said...

What a blessing to read your sister's account of all of this! I'm praying for you and your entire family.

Sandrine McCurdy said...

I'm sorry to hear the news. I was talking to Melanie earlier this week and I had this thought I shared with her, God knows what He is about. I don't believe He causes the bad things, but He knows that they are coming and He knows what we need in the midst of it. I don't know 99.9% of the time what He's doing, but I find peace in knowing, He knows what He's about, what He is going to do, and how He's going to answer our prayers, before we are ever clued in.

I will be praying for Monica and the rest of your family. Please keep me updated.

Much Love!

Monica said...

Hey, Sis...
Yes, this is just a "bump." (UGH! I really didn't mean for that to be a pun and I don't think you did either--at least people will see that the cloth we're cut from has the same pattern of humor.) We will get through this, and we will all be stronger for it. I love you so much, and I am so grateful that God has placed us together as sisters. <3 <3

Smith Family Blog said...

I know words can't really convey the comfort that I wish to convey-- at least over the internet!-- but I know that the God of Comfort will hold you in his arms tonight. We are praying for your whole family.

Jackie said...

So sorry, Erin...praying for you and your sis right now. I love her comment above and the great attitude she has.