Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Works for me Wednesday - Pandora


A few months ago, I was introduced to the wonder of Pandora. Here's how it works:

1. You type in the name of a specific artist, or a song, or a style of music.

2. Pandora will find music similar to the artist, or song, or style of music that you entered, and will play it for you. For example, if you enter "James Taylor", it will create a playlist based on his style of music that will include some songs from him, and lots of songs by other artists like him.

3. If you create an account, Pandora will give you the opportunity to provide feedback on the songs you like or don't like. If it plays a song that you really like, you can give it a thumbs up. If it plays a song that you hate, you can give it a thumbs down. This helps the site to refine exactly the type of music you want to hear.

The great thing is that you can create lots of "radio stations", and every time you log in you can choose one you have already created, or you can start a new one.

And, the thing I REALLY love about it is the "QuickMix".

The QuickMix allows you to combine several of your stations into one big playlist. I love this because my musical tastes are all over the place, and Pandora allows me to bring them all together in one big group hug.

Here are the "stations" in my current QuickMix:
Salvador
James Taylor
Bon Jovi
Disco
The Righteous Brothers
Hillsong

See what I mean about my tastes being all over the place?

Another great thing (how many times have I said that now?) is it has introduced me to new artists. (Or old artists that I've heard of, but never paid attention to.) When I hear a song that I like but don't recognize, I'll click over to Pandora and it will give me all the info about the song/artist/album.

AND... it's all FREE. No commercials.

That totally works for me! Take a peek at Rocks in my Dryer for more great Works for Me Wednesday ideas.

6 comments:

Ryann said...

Oh, I am so doing this today! Thanks for the tip. I'm online all day long at work and sometimes this work music is way too cheesy for me. I'm going to check it out now.

Zion said...

I have used this site for music before. It's really cool. You can also get it on your iphone, I don't have an iphone, but still it's good to know :)

Monica said...

I didn't know that you like Bon Jovi?!

So, do you just listen to this on your computer? Can you download to an mp3 player? (I am so technologically ignorant!)

Jackie said...

I keep hearing about this...I am going to check it out! Thanks, Erin.

Erin K. said...

I'm not sure if you can download this to an mp3 player - I listen on my computer while at work.

And, yes, I am a Bon Jovi fan. =) Did you know that I saw him in concert when I lived in Jacksonville? (It was an acoustic show so I'm sure it was waaaaay toned down from his normal live concert.)

Christine said...

Erin!! My friend, it has been too long! How are you?! I'm so glad to have the link to your blog now. Thanks for saying hello.
We love Pandora too and listen to it nearly everyday. Some of my favorite stations are Harry Connick Jr., Norah Jones, Chris Tomlin, and Sara Grooves.
Thanks for the prayers. They are so very much appreciated and felt.