Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Unwelcome houseguest

Ike, or at least what was left of him, came for a visit at our house this past weekend.

It rained and rained and rained on Friday night, most of the day Saturday, and most of the day Sunday.

I didn't mind the rain, until I went down to the basement after church on Sunday. I was in my bare feet and I thought, "Why do I feel like my feet are getting wet?"

Then I realized that water was oozing up through the carpet, and a small puddle had formed in front of our entertainment center.

Nice.

So, Mike ventured out in the downpour to buy a shop vac and some extenders for the downspout on that corner of the house. I thought he might also come home with pairs of animals, a dove, and an olive branch.

Thankfully it only affected that one room, and nothing was damaged. With the help of a couple fans, the trusty shop vac, and a few dry days, hopefully everything will be back to normal soon.

I also realize that our visit from Ike is trivial compared to what happened down south. My prayers go out to those who are facing weeks and months (and maybe years) of clean up and recovery. After seeing pictures of the damage, I think I can handle a little water in the basement.

(Plus, it's better than having bats.)

1 comment:

Kyle Luke said...

Ok, I'm starting to feel like maybe I actually heard about this site from you, but I'll pass it along just in case I didn't.

http://pickypalate.blogspot.com/

It made me think of you and your menu planning.