Monday, September 15, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - week of 9.15.08


I think I'm finally back on track and back in a routine with menu planning. I doubt that I will follow my plan to a "T", but for me, the point of creating the plan is to be in control of my grocery list (and money) and to know that I have definite options for meals during the week.

So... here we go...

Monday - Up for Grabs
This is coming earlier in the week than it has in the past, but I don't feel like cooking tonight and we have left overs in the fridge and lots of miscellaneous options that will make for a great "up for grabs" night.

Tuesday - Goulash (or something resembling it)
I will mix ground beef, noodles, canned tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, and who knows what else into a goulashesque concoction.

Wednesday - Pork Chops, Stuffing and Cooked Carrots
I'm not exactly sure how I'll make the chops - I'll probably throw them in the oven with some cream of something soup.

(Hmmm... I'm beginning to realize that I've used the term "plan" a little loosely since it appears that I have lots of ingredients, but the way in which I use them will be decided on the fly...)

Thursday - Frozen Pizza and Veggies
Not exactly the most nutritious, but it's nice to throw it in the plan every once in a while

Friday - Leftover Goulash
I'm sure we'll have oodles of this leftover, and it will make for an easy start to the weekend.

On Saturday night we are having some new friends over for dinner (they also happen to be our neighbors) and I will make Poor Man's Steak in the Crock Pot. When I find the recipe, I'll come back and post it. It's a keeper! [I have now added the recipe here.]

Also, last week we had spaghetti one night and I got to thinking about the sauce. Somehow we always end up with a little more sauce than pasta and I throw it away because it's not enough to do anything with.

This time, I decided to add a can of diced tomatoes to the jar of sauce, to stretch it a little bit. Then I saved the sauce, bought some whole wheat hoagie rolls and mozzarella cheese, and last night I made a cross between pizza bread and open faced meatball sandwiches.

It was sooooo yummy, and I was happy to have finally found a way to use the extra sauce, especially considering the rising cost of food. Next time I might also add fresh mushrooms and bell peppers to the sauce to sneak in extra veggies and to stretch it even further.

Visit orgjunkie.com for more great meal ideas!

No comments: