Monday, May 5, 2008

The best and the worst, part II

The best part of today:
Laying on the couch with Kaitlyn, who was in the process of falling asleep, and having her suddenly look up, pull her binky out of her mouth, and move in for a kiss.

The worst part of today:
Going through the Chick-fil-a drive thru to get my beloved Diet Dr. Pepper and then realizing that my stupid little drink holder was too small to hold it securly. I perched the DDP in/on the drink holder and got almost the whole way back to work... As I turned the corner to drive onto campus, the DDP tipped and fell beneath my feet. I pulled to the side of the road and picked it up, thankful to see that not much spilled out.

That's when I noticed that it appeared to be leaking from the bottom. It was leaking a lot. I grabbed the napkins to try and stop the hemmoraging, and raced towards the parking lot. My napkins were quickly soaked and I decided there was no way I had time to park in staff parking and make the walk to my building - I had to go for the forbidden visitor parking in front of the building. If I got a ticket I would calmly explain my serious DDP emergency - I'm sure campus safety would understand.

I parked the car, opened the door, and thrust my hand (with the DDP) out over the pavement. I noticed that the cup wasn't leaking from the bottom - it was leaking from the side and there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop it. I hurridly gathered my things, including a Diet Coke for Sherry, who had, unfortunately, spilled half of a Diet Coke all over her desk first thing in the morning. This was not our day for keeping Diet Soda in-tact.

I ran to the building, ran up the two flights of stairs, and dripped DDP the whole way. Fortunately, our office has a sink, and we have plastic cups, so I was able to quickly pour the rest of the DDP into two plastic cups. Whew.

I was sad to lose 1/4 of my precious DDP, but you will be happy to know that I made it through the rest of my day without too much of a problem.

No comments: